Oldgrave? Frosthammer? Just nice figures on hex bases?


As I've sold my soul to Dragon Rampant I might as well go the whole hog and give the other gaming flavour of the moment a go. Frostgrave, just in case you've been living under rock, is another Osprey Games production. It focusseson Wizards and their war bands exploring a frozen city in order to uncover ancient magical knowledge as well as the classic hide treasure that all abandoned cities appear to contain (is there no such thing as a Fantasy Bank?). Northstar do a lovely range of figures to go with the rules and their are a couple of plastic sets of troops plus another one on the way in order for you to build your war bands. There is a maximum of 10 figures per war band so building a your adventuring group isn't too much of a chore. A bunch of us have decided we are going to give Frostgrave a go at an April get together so I needed a war band. Half term gave me the perfect excuse to get some figures painted. As i'd been collecting some of Aly Morrisons Fighters they seemed like the perfect figures to use.



My initial war band will consist of 2 men-at-arms, 2 infantrymen, 1 thug, 1 thief, An apprentrice and of course the wizard.




F2 Halberdier will be an infantryman, Ellwood form the Dogs of War release is the apprentice, Then there is my Wizard and another infantryman, Ostland Irregular.


Gunther is one of my man at arms, Borlace is my thug, Rildo the Crafty is obviosly my thief and the Altdorf Infantry figure is my second man at arms.


Should my war band manage to do well and raise enough funds to hire more members then I've also got these guys ready to go. Fergus Mcewman is a little lesson in not giving up on eBay as a source for old school figures. He came in a lot of 3 figures just last week for 4 quid alongside another fighter and a chaos warrior. I've got a couple of archers from the marauder range on the way as well and that should be enough to be getting some decent games in.

Comments

  1. Rockin' Colin, they look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love that wizard, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nicely done figures. All the 'Fighters' range have lots of character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. Frostgrave is a lot of fun (I've played three games so far). My warband is made from a mix of Reaper, Wargames Foundry, and Frostgrave minis, but I am currently collecting an Oldhammer warband in a manner similar to what you've done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just brilliant models on hex and square bases. Great paniting and I love your new basing for those (not only because of the hexes).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that wizard: the nose, the tashe, the still beating heart. So much character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite the codpiece on your apprentice. Splendid warband. Those are lovely and characterful models all painted very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment